A clearing-house for links, news, blogs, and articles of interest by and for men and women sex workers.

Stop by the old home!

While we update our site, recatalog the links, and possibly move to new management, please visit the original home of The Courtesan Connection at http://courtesanconnection.wordpress.com/

Once the Wordpress edition is fully brought current, we will take on updating the Blogspot edition (the site you are on now).

12 May 2007

The Sex Workers' Art Show

A journal on a feminist blog about traveling with the Sex Workers' Art Show:

The Student by Day/ Sex Worker by Night figure is as much a stereotype as The Happy Hooker; however, for several years I led this double life. My clients knew I was a student, it seemed to ease their guilt and even excite them but as a safe measure I always lied about which campus I attended. At school, I created a false after-school job to deceive my peers. When I signed up to tour with the Sex Workers' Art Show I knew I'd be spending a month with burlesque dancer Julie Atlas Muz, homo hop artist Juba Kalamka, dancer/singer Simone De La Getto, author Michelle Tea, sex work matriarch Scarlot Harlot, performance artist Bridget Irish, the tour's founder and director Annie Oakley, and three roadies. I knew we'd live out of suitcases. I knew about the long hours in the tour van. What surprised me was that fifteen of our twenty-eight shows were on college campuses. My double life was about to merge. Could sex work and student life actually come together?

More...

No comments: